Friday, October 5, 2007

facebook and myspace

I had set up a facebook page a while back to see what this social networking thing was all about and to try to understand why my son was spending so much time on it. He actually agreed to be friends with me and so did some of his friends. Those wall-to-wall posts are quite interesting...
It's a great way to communicate with my coworkers at the Y, a lot of them are Loyola students and they are quicker to respond to a facebook post than a voicemail.
Otherwise it's quite a time waster, especially with applications such as the aquarium or the furry friend. I'm up to over 30 friends, not too bad for a grown-up.
I also have a myspace page, but it's just too busy and crazy. After not being on it for quite a while, I had so many weird messages, I'm glad I put next to no personal info in there. Facebooks privacy settings are so much better.

2 comments:

Karen Soto said...

I am soo 100% in agreement with you. I hate myspace.com. I know, its not popular to say but its just to busy for me.

The Skokie Ten said...

Don't worry about espousing an "unpopular opinion." It would appear that a number of people would agree with you.

Check out this comparison of myspace and facebook's web traffic. As you can see, myspace has more or less plateaued, while facebook is continuing to gain in popularity. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they reach parity.

Toby